For Immediate Release – June 26, 2015
Contacts: Barry Brown / Communications and Public Relations Officer 831.784.4245
Esme Menjivar / MCAET Administrative Assistant 831.784.4249
Integrating Arts, Technology and English Language Learning
News Media Invited
Wednesday, July 1st
1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Monterey Office of Education, 901 Blanco Circle, Salinas
Salinas, CA – Can the Arts and Technology be used to help teach California’s English Language Learners? They can, and in a surprising number of ways.
On Wednesday, July 1st, teachers and administrators from throughout California will meet at the Monterey County Office of Education (MCOE) for a forum on integrating Arts and Technology-based standards with English Language Learning programs.
The “Innovation through the Arts Forum” will feature student performances and instruction modules conducted by leaders in Arts education. The event will be hosted by the Media Center for Art, Entertainment and Technology (MCAET) in the MCAET Black Box Theater and videotaped for use on MCOE’s television station, website, and other platforms.
“We have been working on these instruction modules for over three years,” said Hamish Tyler, MCAET director. “They are fully-developed and available to teachers through Creativity at the Core, the arts initiative from the California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (CCESA). Teachers will see how these modules specifically address the needs of their English Language Learners.”
The “Innovation through the Arts Forum” will take place from 1-3 p.m. at the Monterey County Office of Education, 901 Blanco Circle in Salinas. The news media is invited to attend and interview the participants. Scheduled presenters and speakers include:
• Dr. Bill Herkelrath, EdD, Ashdown College of Health Sciences
• Sonia Aramburo, Principal of the Mary Chapa Literacy and Technology Academy in Greenfield (via Skype)
• Emiliano Valdez, El Teatro Campesino
• Estrella Esparza Johnson, El Teatro Campesino
• Paulette Lynch, Arts Council for Monterey County
• Esther Tokihiro, Arts Santa Clara County
• Hamish Tyler, Arts Lead CCESA - Region 5
• Jennifer Logue, Arts Lead, San Benito County Office of Education