JavaScript is disabled in your browser. Please enable JavaScript or upgrade to a JavaScript-capable browser to properly view this site. Thank you.

Monterey County Office of Education

Leadership, Support and Service to Prepare All Students for Success

Dr. Nancy Kotowski, County Superintendent of Schools

Blind/Visually Impaired Itinerant Services

MCOE operates an itinerant program for students with a visual impairment that, even with correction, adversely affects their educational performance.  When assessment determines that a student has educational needs that cannot be met without special education and related services, this student is provided with instruction, specialized services and materials, and equipment in accordance with his or her IEP. The term visually impaired includes both functionally blind students and low vision students.  While students with visual impairments require instruction in all areas of the California Common Core Curriculum, they may also need specialized instruction in the Expanded Core Curriculum which includes compensatory skills, orientation and mobility, social interaction skills, independent living skills, recreation and leisure skills, career education, use of assistive technology, sensory efficiency skills, and self determination. Services are provided by a credentialed teacher of the visually impaired to students with a qualifying visual impairment from birth to high school graduation or age 22, whichever comes first. Students are served in their general or special education classroom and orientation and mobility services are provided on the school campus and in the community.

Dr. Jonna Triggs, Director
Phone: 755-0300 x434
Sue Thornton, Resource Specialist
Phone: 755-0300 x432

Boronda Community School

1114 Fontes Lane, Salinas 93907
Bernadette Zavala, VI Program Specialist, 422-0116,
Fax: 422-0418

Kathy DempseyVI
Jennifer HirshVI
Laura PossonVI
Sarah RossiVI
Roberta WilliamsVI
Lauri DuncanVI


What's New

Here you can find the newsletters from your student's principal. Or visit the archives.