Williams Lawsuit Legislation
Assembly Bill (AB 559)
On October 8, 2021, the Governor signed Assembly Bill (AB 559) into law. AB 559 provides a new process for identifying schools that county superintendents are required to inspect each year. AB 599 will change Education Code section 1240 to create a new method of determining which schools the county superintendent must inspect each year.
The list of new schools must include all of the following:
- All schools identified for comprehensive support and improvement and additional targeted support and improvement under the federal Every Student Succeeds Act;
- All schools identified as low performing under the Federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act; and
- All schools where 15 percent or more of the teachers hold something less than a preliminary or clear California teaching credential.
Following the inspections, county superintendents or their designees must prepare an annual report detailing various aspects of the inspected schools’ performance and submit that report in November to the governing board of every school district within the county office of education’s jurisdiction, the county board of education, and the county board of supervisor.
- Instructional Textbooks and Materials
- School Accountability Report Card (SARC)
- Uniform Complaint Procedures (UCP)
- Teacher Misassignments