Language Arts/English Language Development
The Educational Services department at MCOE offers technical assistance, leadership, planning, and professional learning for school-wide, standards-based curriculum and instruction in order to accelerate student achievement. Services can be based on individual district and school needs.
- Support in leading and monitoring standards-based curriculum development and classroom implementation.
- Improve teacher expertise in content and pedagogy to help all students meet standards through differentiation.
- Meet the needs of English learners within the core program.
- Facilitate the selection and implementation of State Board approved literacy and intervention programs.
- Support the assessment and analysis of student learning and program evaluation.
- Train teachers in the availability and use of diagnostic assessment tools and analysis.
- Aid in the development of tiered intervention systems.
- Work with grade level teams to develop collaborative model of analyzing student evidence and adjusting instruction based upon student results.
- Customized professional learning in literacy is available.
- MCOE ELA/ELD Professional Learning Opportunities
- MCOE OMS Calendar of Events
- English Learner Collaborative Network
Resources by ELA/ELD Team
English Learner Resources
- California English Learner Roadmap
- English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC)
- Implementation Support for the ELA/ELD Framework
- Meeting the Unique Needs of Long Term English Language Learners
- Understanding Language, Stanford University
- ELA/ELD Framework Vignettes and Snapshots Chart
- Smarter Balanced Performance Task Rubrics
- Smarter Balanced Brief Write Rubrics
- K-12 Common Core Writing Rubrics
- CDE Clearinghouse
- Gradual Release of Responsibility Teacher Resources
- Professional Development Modules
- CDE Frequently Asked Questions
- What Works Clearinghouse, IES, USDE
- The Hunt Institute Youtube Channel
- Fisher and Frey YouTube Channel
- Teaching Channel
Clips of teachers discussing CCSS lessons, along with short examples for various grade levels and various strands
Hess Cognitive Rigor Matrix
California Department of Education Links:
- Houghton Mifflin
- Holt McDougal
- Voyager Sopris
- Heinle/Cengage Learning
- Doug Fisher and Nancy Frey
- NCTE Day on Writing
- Steps for Planning Focus Lessons
- Pre-Teaching Vocabulary in Seven Steps
- Achieve the Core Coaching Tools